The Story Collider is a 501(c)3 nonprofit dedicated to producing true, personal stories that spark emotional connections to science. Your support - through a one-time donation or monthly support at Patreon - keeps us going.
If you prefer to write a check, please make it out to Story Collider, Inc, and mail to 1624 14th Street NW, Washington DC 20009
If you prefer a credit card transaction, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 202.854.1150
What you support
Our income is a mix of donations, grants, ticket sales, sponsored shows, speaking engagements, and workshop fees. Together, these pay for our staff and producers to:
- Find, coach, and rehearse storytellers
- Record, edit, and produce the podcast
- Hire photographers and sound technicians for our events
- Travel to shows outside our home cities
- Cover bar minimums, venue fees, and programs printing costs
- Design, host, and maintain our online presence, maintain media storage and backups
- Read and write about storytelling in a variety of academic and popular outlets
- Develop lectures and exercises for our workshops and other invited speaking opportunities
- Do all the things it take to keep the lights on, taxes filed, and beasts of chaos at bay
Since our launch in 2010, we've produced more than 200 shows in forty-five different cities. We’ve published more than 350 episodes of our podcast, which now averages 130,000 monthly listens and has been downloaded over nine million times.
We manage our money in keeping with our mission. We believe in keeping ticket prices low so as many people can afford our live shows as possible. Paywalls are profitable, but we are committed to keeping all our content freely available, always. This is one of the ways our donors make a difference. If you'd like details about our governance and financial details, we're happy to provide those.
We're proud of both what we do and how we go about it, and we are incredibly grateful to everyone who has contributed – the storytellers, the tech and venue staff, and everyone who's listened and told people about the show. We hope we can keep it going with your support!
How it works
Like most crowd-funding campaigns, you set the amount and choose if you want thank-you rewards tied to certain gift amounts. Unlike Kickstarter, Patreon is a monthly donation rather than a one-time deal. We're hoping that a lot of you think we are worth about $5/month (roughly $1 per podcast)! Each month the system sends you a summary of what you're supporting and you have a few days to change your donation or opt out. You can cancel at any time with a click. Donations are tax-deductible (aside from the market value of any rewards you select) and you receive a summary at the end of the year for documentation.
Our crowd-funding goals
Our core mission is to help people feel an emotional connection to science. We do this by producing our live shows and podcast, and leading storytelling trainings for scientists. It’s always exciting to develop ideas for new projects (we have lots!), but our core focus always will be on diversifying our stories, storytellers, audiences, and locations beyond the usual suspects. We need your support to:
- expand the perspectives represented among our team and storytellers,
- host shows in smaller cities and locations outside our existing circuit, and develop our workshop offerings.
Our Patreon donations are an important part of our operating budget. Here is how we will make use of your generous support.
- $500/month - This will help us produce our standing show schedule. For 2018, we are running regularly in New York, Washington DC, Boston, Atlanta, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancouver, and Wellington!
- $1,000/month - This will help us offset costs for producing shows outside our regular cities.
- $2,000/month - If we hit this, we'll be able to upgrade our recording equipment and spend more time on creating new workshop content.
- $5,000/month - This is a big goal. If we get here, we'll be able to hire more producers, travel to cities outside our usual range, and potentially subsidize our workshops for groups who lack the resources to bring us in on their own.
We hope you enjoy and believe in what we're doing, and that you'll help keep it going!
Liz, Erin, and all our team.
our Sustaining Donors:
Janet D. Stemwedel
Louie & Whitney Rivers III
Meg & Rocky Hamilton
Sally Wheeler Maier
WITH SPECIAL THANKS TO
Kyra N Krakos
And our storytellers who wish to remain anonymous
For donating their honoraria in support of SACNAS, with dedications to
all those with stories to tell
all young scientists and their stories
because everyone needs more science
all the brainiacs who make the world better, one story at a time.
all the girls in science!
all who help students learn to believe that they can be scientists too and that science is fun.
Paula Croxson and all the love and support she gave me.
the next generation of scientists
in honor of my daughter Penny
investing in the future leaders of an inclusive scientific world
all the untold stories.
shrinking violets everywhere
Will the podcast still be free?
Yes! Our podcast will always be free, and we are committed to keeping our entire archive available to all listeners.
What if I want to change or cancel my donation?
No problem. Every month Patreon will send you an email reminding you what your pledge was, and you have the option to change it before you're charged. (That kind of ease and flexibility is why we love Patreon, btw.)
I'd rather make a one-time donation, can I do that?
Yes. Monthly contribution help provides us with a stable income stream and make planning easier, but we greatly appreciate all forms of support. To make a one-time donation, click the button below: